Sunday, March 14, 2010

March 15th, 2010

I am sitting in my hotel room in Seattle resting from a long weekend of work and a bit of riding. When I do get the chance to work this job, it is a great opportunity. I was a bit worried this morning when I woke up because I felt a little sick again after riding at night last night with no ear covers. I had a runny nose for part of the day and a little scratch in my throat, but nothing seemed to materialize. Not like last week at least. I did destroy my hotel room on my own...

I had the misfortune of being hit not only twice in one year, but twice in one month with sickness. For the second time I was unable to ride my bike for a week and I was running out of tissues. I don't know what I had/have still, but it sucks and it is not something I have dealt with before. Its ironic how poor my health care coverage is and yet I could take my rental car to Canada right now probably and got this taken care of. It wouldn't be a long drive at all. That as much as politics will enter this space.

Back to the training bits...

March 2nd, 2010:
I rode to Irvine to meet Ashley to do the Coffee Crew ride. The ride starts at 6:15 AM and I had to ride there (my poor car died) so I left my house at about 5:15 and hustled there. I was actually early, but now I was quite warm, which is always nice.

It was a beautiful day when the sun eventually showed itself. This ride starts off at a nice 18 mph pace for about 30 minutes and then picks up quickly to a 90% race speed. I felt really good on the flats and was with the front group for the whole ride, sitting on Ashley's wheel, until we went up the backside of Newport and my time off the bike showed some as I was dropped from the group. I made time up as the steep pitch gave way to a power climb which I always enjoys racing up, but Couldn't grab the main group, which included a few Stetina's I'm told.

All was excellent when I got home and I went back to painting my house.

March 7th, 2010:
I planned on joining Wes at the Dominguez Hills CBR crit, but I wasn't able to ride my bike all week because I was sick, so I had to miss it. I feel bad because according to Wes' race report, it sounded like he could have used my help making it fast for him.

I didn't plan on going to the race at all because it was a rainy day and the Cat 4 race was early in the morning, but then a little birdie told me that Floyd Landis would be at the race. So I decided to go watch Ash and see Floyd race, which I always really enjoy. Here is a crappy vid of Floyd trying to break away with a small group and Ashley trying to bridge the gap with another small group. It was all for nothing in the end though, Ashley ended up being too boxed in and Floyd is not a sprinter.

Jonathan Cantwell from Fly V Australia won. Jordan busted a spoke and I got to be a neutral support guy, so at least there was some excitement.

March 9th, 2010:
Inspired by the news of Floyd racing for Bahati's team and watching the boys race on Sunday I went for a ride with Ashley around 10 in the morning. We had originally planned to do Coffee Crew again, but the wind was horrible and it was cold, so why bother?

We rode through the canyon and up Santiago Canyon. Ashley had some intervals to do so it was kind of funny having him pass me then me bring him back like a rubber band snapping as he recovered. I was in no condition to be going hard coming off my cold and all. I felt really good though and tested the legs on the way home. We kept the pace really high through some of the best power climbs and descents Orange County has to offer.

More to come tomorrow, I need sleep and to finish my third day of riding in beautiful Seattle. Goodnight.

Song of the day: The Smiths - Big Mouth Strikes Again
The Smiths - Big Mouth Strikes Again

No comments: