Wednesday, December 23, 2009

December 23rd, 2009

Gym workout in the morning with Dane. My hip flexor was acting up, but it was an upper body day, so it got to rest. Standing press and standing rows, both of which make me feel like a weakling. Dane was pretty cooked today, so he took our ride off. Instead I met up with Ashley in Irvine.

Ashley wanted to do 45 minutes of tempo in the canyon again, so away we went. I really like the canyon ride, its one of the best things about living where I do. You can ride for almost two hours without worry about a traffic signal, and you can always continue into Live Oak canyon by O'Neil park for another hour of uninterrupted riding. Turns out though, that I don't know every inch of the canyon just yet. today Ashley took me on a new climb into the Santiago community. It was awesome, nothing too hard, but just a long interesting climb with nice people on the side of the road.

The lack of a bike lane makes things interesting, but the cars were not jerks to us (they did fly by though).

I am starting to enjoy riding a lot more now that I can o fast every once in a while. I love going fast. There is a decent into the canyon when you go the back way, right after the toll road, and as we both started down the hill i looked at Ashley and said "This is my favorite thing to do, go fast." As hard as it is sometimes to go faster, I still want to keep going; this sounds like something Ricky Bobby would say I guess.

All I can think about now is the next race season: group rides, hill repeats, track work outs, and of course the races them selves. Ashley and I were discussing Pro Tour gossip, as per usual, and realized our own peleton has its own share of gossip. I think we all enjoy this part of it secretly.

When all was said and done I ended up doing about 50 miles in 2 hours and 45 minutes, pretty fast because of the tempo work (and we booked it home, which was my fault).

Hockey game at 10:30, which means little sleep tonight. Its worth it though, hopefully I can get Wes out there skating soon.

One of Marcel's "Bubbas" (he calls everyone Bubba), Steve, called me out on missing the Celo Europa group ride all the time, so I told him I'd be there tomorrow. Now I have to wake up at 6:00 am.

No comments: