Tuesday, December 22, 2009

December 22, 2009; Supplemental Post

Today marks our decent into summer, although it has been summer for quite a while now.

Did about 2 hours of boxing with Ryan tonight. Its really difficult to teach your body to move in all of these new ways, but when you get it right and you feel the power in the pads its nice. Every time I messed up it hurt, so I need to learn to get the technique down first them move onto speed. I feel very lucky to have so many people willing to teach me different things. With Ryan now teaching me how to box, Dane teaching me in the weight room, and Ashley teaching me on the bike (among many others) I can only be thankful. There is no way I could afford to purchase this type of support and information on my own right now.

The reason I decided to start boxing has a few parts to it. I want to further tighten up my core. I want to increase my reaction time. I want to learn so I can understand what's going on in the fights I watch. I want an opportunity to spend time with another friend in his element. I want to feel strong for once. I secretly want to learn just in case I have to fight in hockey. I don't have any plans to fight anyone, other than sparring with Dane and Ryan. Just keep it fun and safe. Already enjoy the entire process, so this will be part of the rotation. With swimming replacing one of my weight training days in January, I will be a true renaissance man.

Gym in the morning, upper body only, then maybe a century (more likely just 70 miles). /goodnight.

No comments: